Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Book Review // Belle by Cameron Dokey


"My mother sat beside Papa, an arm around his waist as if to shore him up. "Drink your tea, Roger," she urged in a soft, firm voice. "You got caught in that rain squall this morning, didn't you? The tea will warm you up." My father took a sip, obediently, like a child. "I'm sorry to be such trouble," he said. "Papa," I said, shocked. "How can you talk so? We love you. How can anything we do for you trouble us?" The mug of tea slipped from my father's fingers, then bounced off the tabletop and smashed on the floor. Hot liquid and broken crockery shot every which way. None of us moved or made a sound. Our attention was riveted on my father's face, on the tortured expression in his eyes as they stared into mine. "Belle," my father said hoarsely, and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise at his tone. "Ma petite Belle. I wonder if you will say that when you know what I have done." (excerpt)


"Belle is convinced she has the wrong name, as she lacks her sisters' awe-inspiring beauty. So she withdraws from society, devoting her time to wood carving. Secretly, Belle longs to find the fabled Heartwood Tree. If carved by the right hands, the Heartwood will reveal the face of one's true love.

"During a fierce storm, Belle's father stumbles upon the mysterious Heartwood -- and encounters a terrifying and lonely Beast. Now Belle must carve the Heartwood to save her father, and learn to see not with the eyes of her mind, but with the eyes of her heart." (summary)


I read this book all in one sitting early this week and quite relished it. Well over half the book actually takes place well before the Beast ever enters in, but for all that, it included some of my favorite parts. I really enjoyed Dokey's spin on Belle's family: with the caring parents and the realistic relationship between the sisters -- bickering sometimes, but genuinely loving one another hard even in the toughest times.


Her descriptions are delicious, and round various little twists in the story there are unexpected quips or turns of phrase that catch you by surprise with sheer delight.

I also love how she chose to portray the Beast... Leaving his appearance definite yet shrouded in mystery, since Belle honestly can't look him in the face *SPOILERS* till the end. ;) My one caveat is that the story does wrap up rather quickly after that happens, but it's yet all so rich and refreshing and delightfully charming, that it quite makes up for it.


In the end -- fresh with the wind off the sea and spring rain on green hills and the light of stars in the water -- and a heroine who will dare anything for those she loves -- it's thoroughly enjoyable and altogether lovely!

Tell me! Have you read Belle? Or any other books by Cameron Dokey?


(Reviewed for Meredith's Beauty & The Beast Week and also my first book read and reviewed for the ARC.)


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for an excellent review, Heidi. This books sounds really good. I'm going to have to check it out one of these days. :)

    P.S. YOUR NEW HEADER IS AMAZING!! I love it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! This sounds execelent! I will have to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Sounds like a sweet retelling. I need to check this out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may have skimmed some of Dokey's novels, but when I checked my Goodreads page, I saw that I only marked A Storyteller's Daughter as "read." I might have decided I didn't like her writing enough to pursue any other novels, but I may just have a look at her books again.

    I've read "Beauty" by Robin McKinley and adored that, so I don't know about finding anything to top that, but I always like new versions. (There are two versions that I like of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, although one is considerably superior in writing quality, and the Cinderella story is told in all sorts of ways). Hmm, I might just have to get on a fairy tale retelling kick again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this, but it's going on my TBR list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one yet! But your review has intrigued me, so maybe I will someday.

    Thanks for writing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This retelling sounds lovely! Would definitely like to read it someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked the book! I remember that I really liked the book.

    I have read several of Cameron Dokey's books. They are light, feel good novels, which I need after reading too many serious books in a row, which drain my brain. Actually, school drains my brain more than a bunch of serious books, so I take that back. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to further confabulation. Please just be courteous to one and all. Oh, and I love thoughts on old posts, so comment away!

(Also of late -- what with time being finite, and Life Happening + managing multiple blogs and computer issues and all that -- I sometimes have to alternate between creating new content and replying to comments, but rest assured I'm thrilled to hear from each and every one of you and always hope to reply thoughtfully in full ASAP. <3)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...